Monday, November 17, 2008

Proof and Reflection

Since I had Zac five years ago, I have heard many statements describing my children including:

"Your boys sure are marked by the Darts!"

"Your boys are just like Kyle and his brothers!"

"Zac sure does look like Kyle's mother."

Let me say, I appreciate these statements very much. I think Kyle is the most handsome man on earth, so of course, I want my children to look like him! He is followed very closely in "handsomeness" by his brothers. I am so happy my boys are "Dart Boys," both in looks and in name. And let me be the first to say that Zac is so much like Ann! I see so much of her in him.

All of that being said, I found proof that yes, I do have a child who looks like me, at least in this one picture! I can see so much of Will in my facial features in this picture. Especially through the lower half of my face. As much as I love their father and his looks, I know of no one who isn't flattered by being told that their cute kids look like them.

So, I agree with the all of you who say I have Dart-looking boys, but now I see a little Hancock shining through!
Today would have been my Grandma's 96th birthday. She died eleven years ago in a car accident, but she is still thought of and talked about every day. I miss her laugh, her house, her yard, her landing; but mostly, I just miss her. It makes me so sad that my children never knew her - I guess that leaves me with a huge responsibility to make sure they still "know" her.

I wrote about her a couple of years ago. Here's the link.

http://thedartfamily.blogspot.com/2007/05/flood-of-memories-and-depth-of.html

15 comments:

Joel said...

and that's Riley peering over Mama's right shoulder...

Tiffany Nelson said...

I agree Aly about the kids and especially about Gma. It was mine and Leahs senior year and the accident occured the week of Homecomming and Leah and I were both nominated. I miss her laugh, her smell, her smile and how she always started with Emily and would work her way down to get to my name. She was such a wonderful pleasent person and she is missed everyday. I was telling the boys this morning about Gma and was also thinking about how much she would have loved all of our kids. THey missed out on having such a wonderful great gma and she missed out on lots of hugs and kisses. Love you Gma Hancock

Anika said...

I've been saying it all along haven't I? WILL IS A MINI HANCOCK! I think he looks just like you and your cute bros. I think Zac looks a lot like Nate (hottie), but Will, and even Sam favor the Hancocks!

Anika said...

Oh, and Leah looks super happy in that picture...

Lauren said...

Will definitely looks like you as a child Aly and like you said especially in this photo. All you Hancocks were sooo cute as kids and definitely passed on those good looks to your kids. Joel was pretty cute too...I could pinch those fat brown arms right off!

Aly said...

Ani- You have said all along that Will looks like me! I appreciate it! And Leah's expression in this picture- priceless. I'm just wondering what she was thinking?!

Anika said...

Leah- hilarious! Yes, I think your kids got their fair share of Hancock genes... maybe more than Dart!??? Either way, heck-uv-a gene pool if you ask me!

The Robinson Family said...

Aly- You were talking this weekend about Will favoring you a little and I really see it in this picture. He is such a cutie! He told me his birthday is Nov. 23rd so tell him Happy Birthday for me! I remember reading your old post about your grandma and I know you guys miss her! You guys come from good stock!!

Melissa said...

Too sweet Aly, you have beautiful children either way (but I agree with you)!

Leah is cracking me up with her legs crossed...such a prissy little lady.

Anika said...

ALY- OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!! AHHHH! My blog is so FREAKIN' CUTE! THANK YOU SO MUCH! I LOVE IT! Now, my blog is almost as cute as yours... ALMOST!!!! THANK YOU!

Allison Bernauer said...

Love the pictures!! Leah is cracking me up. You must post more pics from when you were little!

lov said...

1. i love this post
2. leah is too funny in this picture
3. will does look like you in this picture, i think it is the eyes
4. im glad you found me too!! and i'm glad i can crack you up!! :)

Becca's Blog said...

Aly,
That is such a fun picture and I see so much of Will in you there. I always knew that had some of their Mom in them, especially Will! YOu are darling and I miss you!

Becca's Blog said...

ALy,
I would absolutely love for you guys to come out to visit or just you. You know we have a room and an entire basement that has your name written all over it. COme...I would love it!

mitch, pam and the rhoadants said...

Aly, I just came across your blog and absolutely LOVE it! The kids are darling! I love your photography! We miss you here and would love to see you if you ever come to visit! It sure looks as if life in NC is suiting your family very well! Our love to all of you! Love, Pam