Sunday, May 6, 2007

A Flood of Memories and a Depth of Gratitude

On Wednesday Kyle and the boys and I drove over to Utah from Colorado to spend a few days with his family before we move home to NC. The boys were so good and watched several movies during the nine hour trip, so Kyle and I were able to spend several hours talking. It was so nice.

We discussed everything on this road trip from baseball to houses and from religion to politics. Of course, our conversation landed upon Grant, Emily, Kevin, and their entire family. As we spoke of our gratitude for technology, brilliant doctors, and miraculous treatments, I couldn't help but think about my Uncle Denny, and my grandparents, Charlie William and Margarette. Much like Grant, Denny was a vibrant and strong little boy; and much like Emily and Kevin, grandma and granddaddy were loving and attentive parents. Denny was a little older than Grant when he was diagnosed with leukemia, but there was one huge difference-time. I am so thankful that in this day and age, doctors have been inspired and guided to find treatments that not only fight symptoms, but heal little boys and girls of this terrible disease. I am so sad that my uncle, Denny, wasn't able to receive these treatments and that my grandparents had to suffer losing a son at 9 years old.

I admire my grandparents for their strength and long-suffering and I am in awe of my sister and her husband for the way they have chosen to react to this obstacle placed before them. It would be so easy to get mad and say why me, but it is through these trials that Heavenly Father proves who we really are, and they have definitely proven themselves to be strong and faithful parents. I am so thankful for their example.

As Kyle and I discussed my grandparents, I began to have a flood of memories from my childhood. My grandma was the epitomy of what a grandmother should be. In my mind's eye she was always cooking or baking something, usually light bread or bread pudding, but always something. She always wore a house coat and cloth shoes from Roses or Maxway. Most of the time her hair was messed up from where she's taken a nap earlier that day. She loved The Young and the Restless and The Price is Right and watched both religiously. She had the most contagious laugh (which will never die as long as Leah's around). She wore clip on ear rings and she had beaded necklaces in every color. She had a white house with a white picket fence that granddaddy built. She had the best swing ever on her front porch and a few rocking chairs that all had black paint chipping off of them. Right by the front steps there was a bright pink hydreanga bush that she absolutely loved. Around the corner of the house were those little pink flowers that had clover-like leaves. She had the best tree ever in her front yard that he nearly every grandchild's name carved in it. I've climbed to the top more times than I can count, much to granddaddy's chagrin. He was scared to death we were gonna "get killed." Luckily, none of us ever did.

There was a honeysuckle in the back yard that smelled heavenly. There was a gigantic heater in the kitchen that I still can't quite comprehend why it was so big! In the winter, she'd always block the front of the house off with an accordian door so they didn't have to heat the front two rooms, therefore in my memories, those two rooms were always cold. She al'ways had Coca Cola in the glass bottle in the fridge for granddaddy, but we'd always drink them as soon as we walked in the door. We almost got a good old fashioned switching one night after emptying grandma's fridge, but luckily our pre-switching screams were so loud, our neighbor came over to see what the fuss was all about! (We had been forewarned to stay out of the kitchen!)

I have such vivid memories of swinging on the porch and watching it rain. The smell is still so vivid in my mind. We would sit on that porch for hours and count the cars passing by. We'd all pick a color and at the end, the person whose color had passed my most won the game. We'd run circles around her house over and over again. We'd play Red-Rover in the front yard, but, as we all know, no one would ever send me right over! I'm still scarred by that! We'd play the egg game on the front steps where you'd approach the person on the front step and say, "Do you have any eggs," and they'd reply, "What color." Then you would begin saying colors and when you said their color, they'd take off running and you had to catch them. It sounds pretty stupid thinking about it now, but boy was it fun back then.

We'd go to the landing and play in the water. We'd pick up shells and bottles and torment Uncle Mike's crabs. I was nearly decapitated once on a bike ride down to the landing, but I lived to tell about it, so I guess it wasn't as bad as I remember! I also almost had my hand blown off by a firework down there one Fourth of July, but I don't have any scars from that either.

I could go on for days, but I won't. I loved that house and I love the two people who lived there. Soon after granddaddy died, so did the house, but in my mind it's still there. I am still 6 years old and grandma is still swinging on the porch while granddaddy waits at the landing for Uncle Mike to come back in. I am so thankful for memories. I am so lucky to have so many good ones.

9 comments:

Cloward Family said...

Aly-
What amazing memories! Reading the gratitude you have for your childhood makes me appreciate mine even more!
Thank you for that.
Amberlee

NCSOXMAN said...

I find myself checking this site everyday hoping that Aly might have added something. I have come to look forward to sharing her feelings and memories. What a fine writer she has become! I am so glad that she is coming to my house. Pa

Emily said...

I loved reading this and it brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing your memories. Because of geography I never knew Grandma and Grandpa the way you did, but I loved them and knew they loved me and it's really nice to read this and have a better picture of the way they were.

And I agree! It's so wonderful that we live in a time when medical miracles happen all the time. We've been thinking about and praying for Grant and the family. We're so thankful he's doing well.

leigh anna said...

aly,
first, i wanted to say i'm so sorry to hear about grant's sickness! he, along with emily and kevin will be in my prayers along with the entire family, and i will keep up to date with how he is doing through his page.....
second, i wanted to say how much i miss you! i am so excited i found your blog so i can feel somewhat connected to you! i miss you on myspace!!
and i am so excited that you are close to moving back home! i hope to get to see you again soon!

i know that you know this, but i just wanted to remind you that god has a purpose for everything that happens in life! we may not understand it, but his plan for us is so amazing! i love you aly!

Aly said...

Thank you all so much for your sweet comments. I love you all.

Leigh Anna, I'm so glad to hear from you. Thanks so much for your sweet words. It is so comforting to know that we have a Father in Heaven who is intimately aware of our needs. I am so thankful to know that He does have a plan and that we just need to have faith in Him. I love you, too. Aly

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way about my grandparent's I miss my Grandmama every single day. I am lucky to still have Pop and the house he lives in. Some of my favorite memories are there and some are very similar to yours. I guess that's how "down east" women are! She was always cooking lihjt rolls or biscuits or some cake or pie. Always in a house dress too! I am glad to have had the chance to have such a special person in my life! I am also glad to have my best friend back soon. Love, Al

Aly said...

Three more weeks! Can you feel the excitement through the screen! I love you, Al.

Anonymous said...

Aly,
It was so great to hear from you! You are too sweet. Your memories were amazing and it brought me right back to going to my Grandma and Grandpa's house. Good luck with Kyle's new job. I am sure you are excited about it. I hope all is well with your family, and I am sure they are happy about you being so close:) Keep in touch with me, it was great to get your note! I am glad you found our blog. I look up to you and Kyle alot. Isn't it great having two boys! And yours are super adorable. It was fun to see them. Aren't they great fun and rewarding at the same time! Keep in touch and much love,
Kelli

Jacque said...

This really brought back memories. Especially when you mentioned the smell during the rain. I can imagine that right now. I remember going to visit when I was quite young (about 8 years old) and not used to the way people speak on the island. Grandma and I were in her front yard and she said something to me that I couldn't understand. I asked her to repeat what she had said, but I still couldn't understand. After about three tries, she just laughed the way she would laugh and let me know that it was OK that I didn't understand. Though I never did figure out what she was trying to tell me, I knew she loved me.
Some of my very earliest memories are of my uncle Denny. I remember how sweet he was to me. I have a picture of the two of us standing on the dock together. I remember the sadness when he died, and that many people came to visit at the house.
I, like you, am so thankful for the blessings of modern medicine and technology. I'm happy to read that little Grant is responding well to his treatments. My prayers are with him, his parents, and all of you.