Sunday, August 12, 2007

Trip to Charleston

Well, we finally did it. Kyle and I have been talking about taking a vacation without the boys for a while, but we never quite seem to go through with it, but we finally did. It was wonderful. That's not to say that I didn't miss the boys, but I loved spending time with Kyle. Our lives have been so busy lately with moving, studying for the BAR exam, taking the BAR exam, helping out with family needs, and so many other things, that we desperately wanted a little time to ourselves.

The first day we drove down to Myrtle Beach, SC and checked into our hotel, which was very nice. I had reserved it online, so I was a little anxious to see if it was as nice as it appeared, and it was great. That night we went to see Le Grande Cirque and it was very enjoyable. I would suggest going to see something like it (Cirque Du Soleil, etc.) if you get a chance.


The next day we drove down to Charleston, SC. It was a very pretty drive through several small towns. We passed dozens of beautiful golf courses, which made Kyle drool a little. As we approached Charleston, there were so many little shacks on the side of the road where the local artisans were selling their sweet grass baskets, which are apparently a novelty, so they are very expensive. A basket about the diameter of your fist was $25. Needless to say, we just admired the craft, but passed on purchasing one for ourselves!

While in Charleston, we stayed with Rachel and Jason Frivance. Rachel is my brother-in-law, Kevin's, sister. They were so gracious and were great tour guides.

We ate at some wonderful restaurants. At the recommendation of Joella and Neil, Kyle's boss, we first went to Magnolia's in downtown Charleston. It was one of the best meals I have ever eaten. Kyle had salmon and I had flounder and we had the fried green tomatos for our appetizer. The atmosphere was great and the food was as good as everyone said it would be.

The next day we started by going on a carriage ride through the Battery and the Rainbow Row. It was so fun. Our guide was so informative and the sights were so beautiful. Most of these pictures were taken while on this ride. The architecture was the most interesting and enjoyable part to see. The homeowners in the Historic District also keep the most gorgeous window boxes you've ever seen. Mama would give them a run for their money, though!

We had such a great trip. Kyle even took me to see Hairspray one night. I guess he really does love me! I loved that, too. Now it's back to the real world, but we certainly enjoyed our little respite together. Every couple needs that every now and then!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aly~ That sounds like so much fun. I am sure it was amazing to have a little time to spend with Kyle. That part of the country is so beautiful. What a great time.
I am sure you both needed the break after studying for the BAR!

howelltree said...

Ahhhh...the calm after the storm. I am so glad you two got to get away together. Ryan and I were able to get away right after the bar as well, we just had some little rugrats along with us. But, it was still a restful trip. I hear you are coming out West soon. We wish we could see you. I'm sure it will happen sooner than later though!