Monday, July 14, 2008

Did You Really Just Say That?

As all of you know, I am pregnant. In fact, I am really pregnant. With my first pregnancy, I gained 28 pounds. The experts all say it is healthy for the average woman to gain between 25 and 35 pounds, so I did just right. With my first pregnancy, I was so happy to be expecting, I didn't care how large I got. It had taken us over three years of lots of heartache and tears to get pregnant, so when I finally found out I was having a baby, I wanted to get big fast so that everyone would know I was pregnant!

My second pregnancy came as a surprise, but a very welcome one. It had been so difficult the first time, we felt very fortunate to have gotten pregnant with no fertility treatments. During my pregnancy with Will, we found out at my 20 week ultrasound that I had a few weak spots in my placenta. It was nothing to really stress over, but I was instructed to take it easy. Well, I really took it easy. At my last doctor visit before going in to have Will, I had gained 40 pounds. I still went one more week, so I'm thinking my final tally was probably somewhere around 42 pounds. I wasn't really all that self conscious about my size with my second pregnancy either, even though I managed to gain 14 more pounds than the first time! With both of my first two pregnancies, I was able to get back to my starting weight within a few months, so I wasn't too concerned.

Now, let's talk about my current pregnancy. This pregnancy has been difficult for me in so many ways. I was sooooo sick at the beginning. I threw up so often that I had a blood vessel in my eye that wouldn't quite heal up all the way because I kept re-bursting it! Some of you know who are around me a lot, but a lot of you don't know that I have a condition when I'm pregnant called ptyalism. It makes you produce much, much, much more saliva than you naturally would, so to deal with that, I had to spit ALL THE TIME! I know, it's so gross!!! I hate it! It is miserable. I can't explain to you how embarrassing it is to be speaking to someone and have to excuse yourself to go spit! It's crazy! Luckily, that has just about completely gone away. Occasionally, in the evening, it'll come on a little bit, but it's nothing compared to what it was for about 26 weeks straight!

This pregnancy, I have also been much more aware of how I look. I think I'm on track to gain a little over 30 pounds, which is within that 25-35 pound window, but for some reason, I have felt huge. No matter how many times my sweet husband and family tell me how radiant I look, I still feel like a blimp. I'm starting to think lately after some of the statements that have been made to me, that I am a blimp. Here are a few of the things people have said to me in the past few weeks. (Remember while you read these that I have 9 more weeks to go.)

Person 1, "Aly, when are you due?"

Me, "Sept 17th. I have about 10 more weeks."

Person 1, "Wow, I thought you were gonna say next week!"

Person 2, "Honey, how much longer do you have?"

Me, "About 10 weeks."

Person 2,"Oh me, you'll never make it!"

Person 3,"Bless your heart! You look like you're gonna pop!"

Me, "I hope I don't pop!"

Person 4, "Have you ever gotten this big before!?"

Me, "Yep, I sure have."

(This one's my favorite)

Person 5, "How far along are you?"

Me, "I'm about 30 weeks."

Person 5,"Good Lord! By the time you have that baby, you'll be as big as a house!"

Me, "Well, I hope I won't be as big as a house."

So, the moral of this little diatribe is this:

If you see a pregnant woman, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all! You don't have to shower her with compliments! She (I) may be really large! She (I) may look like I'm going to go into labor any second, but don't tell me those things! I can promise you that I, along with every other woman who ever carried a child, am acutely aware of how large I am. I am the one who tries to put on pants that fit me two weeks ago, but will no longer fit around my belly. I am the one who is now having a great deal of difficulty bending over to tie my kids' shoes. You don't have to tell me, nor do you have to tell any pregnant woman. WE KNOW!

Anyway- I have spoken my peace.

Be nice to pregnant women. You never know when her crazy hormones will take over and she'll point out all of your imperfections in response to your snappy comment!

Aly

30 comments:

The Robinson Family said...

Aly-
I LOVE this post!! I am so proud of you for gaining only 30 lb.s. That is sooooo good. With both of mine, I gained about 40 lb. And yes, I had several people say some of the exact things they said to you and yes I wanted to knock somebody out! My favorite was "Are you sure that you are not having twins?"
I know that you look wonderful. You always do!
Good Luck with Baby #3!

Susan Hancock said...

Well my sweet daughter- you do look absolutely fabulous!! I can tell you what I think about insensitive people who say such careless comments.... but I am a demure woman and will not!!!

I had six... gained an average of 60 with each one... was still a size 10 until the menopause madness attacked my body! I think that the gain was well worth the outcome... now Joel, you can tell me if that is a sound economic principal.

For all of those attentive "friends" who thought I would "bust"- well I didn't! And my children are prettier than yours. HA!

Emily said...

I love my mama!

Can I just say ditto!

My favorite comment ever was when I was pregnant with Eden. I think I gained 30 lbs total.. and this was about 25 lbs in! I was approached by a elderly lady who is on the rather large size...

The comment was...

"Emily, I do believe that you are even fatter than me!"

Let me tell you, I was FAR FROM IT! At least a good 60 lbs less than her.......

My response,
"I'm 8 months pregnant. What's your excuse!?"

Didn't I tell you that I have a problem with "wrath"....

leah said...

two words.
a.
men.

Strommer Family said...

I've never heard sweet, demure Alyson (Hancock) say anything so true and forceful!! Way to go...well granted though I've certainly not seen you in 7 years or so...I check your blog frequently and you always look beautiful to me!! This is Ruth (Erwin), Dan's little sister!! Sorry I know the name wasn't familiar!! Hang in there..it'll be great when your sweet little mister or lady comes to your family!! ;)

The Moyers said...

I love your blog and I'm sure you look fabulous...and if it's anything like the last two pregnancies you'll be back in no time! Good luck with the home stretch!

Ann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann said...

Hey Aly, I agree with what everyone else has said, especially you, Susan. I would certainly like to give those morons a few choice words of my own. But instead, I'll just tell you, Aly, that you are such a beautiful, sweet, radiant mother, and as difficult as pregnancy can be, there is truly nothing more wonderful than taking nine months to provide a body for a choice little spirit from heaven. Thank you so much for going through all this, including inane comments, to bring another precious little Dart boy into this world.

Allison Bernauer said...

I have to agree...at least with me when they said...."Wow you are big, are you having twins?" I could answer yes. However not all of the 55lbs I gained have gone away and they are 4 years old. Like I told you the other day, my favorite comments were the ones after the twins were born..... examples:
Callie dressed in Pink Dress, Max in Blue outfit....the question from MANY people..."Is it 2 boys?" Yes, I dressed one in a pink dress. Plus my favorite comments were from the people that told me they felt sorry for me....who says that to a new mother with twins?? I wanted to punch them. I actually yelled (loudly) at one lady in
Wal-Mart, "Well I am sorry for you....they are my children for goodness sake."

Ethington Family said...

you have no idea who I am, but i got your blog off of sfhs site. I went to school with kyle. I only read this post so far, but I love it! I have had four kids and like you the first one did really well only gaining 26lbs, so i didn't get all those comments. Which only made my third (when i gained a whopping 50lbs) that much worse when everyone felt it their duty to inform me how big i was. i don't know what it is about being pregnant that people don't think you care anymore how you look or feel. I was really swollen, so lucky it came off. I did much better with my last.
You just gave me a good laugh, sorry it was at your expense. I wouldn't worry though, you are very pretty- not too many will notice anything else. take care, and good luck with everything.
mary morley ethington

MARCY said...

Hi aly i like what you said about the moral of your story that is the truth. And i bet you look great. I have not seen you two for awhile, sounds like everything is going great. If i am right i think Rod told me that you are having another boy. You will have to let me know. Your boys you have right know are so cute i think one looks just like you and one looks just like Kyle They are darling. well when you get back to Utah i hope to see you maybe at the ball park or some were and good luck with the baby.

Aly said...

Thank you to all of you for your sweet comments and for sharing your similar experiences. It's nice to know there are others who feel the same way!

Kelli Schwarz said...

WOW!!! I am totally on the same page as you! No joke within the past 2 days, 4 people have made comments that drove me crazy....and all of them have been by men. I don't think they understand what it takes to go through a pregnancy. One said, "So are you smothering a watermelon in there?" Or "Kel, your packing on a few extra pounds than normal." They think it's so funny, and I know they are trying not to be rude, but to someone who is going through it, well, it just doesn't make you feel that much better that's for sure! I can't wait to see your new little guy. He is going to be so adorable! I hope the time goes by fast for you. I have about 2 and half weeks left and I am getting so nervous to go through it all again. I am sure you are looking as beautiful as ever! You always do!

Shelley Reid said...

What is wrong with people! I think that maybe you look so cute pregnant that they feel comfortable teasing you.
Towards the end of both of my pregnancies (when I was really huge) people stopped making comments, thats when I knew that I really was huge.
So just think of it this way, you are so cute pregnant that people just have to comment!

Joel said...

So I shouldn't say anything about you looking like a blimp in the picture at the top of your blog? ;)

I love you the bestest, and I don't mind cussing out people for you.

Lindsay said...

Amen girly! I have to tell you that when I was pregnant with TJ, one of my parents' male friends told me I was getting broad! I just told him thanks and gave him a poop eating grin ;) I'm sure you look great! You always do! ;) Good luck with the rest of the pregnancy and I can't wait to see pics of your new little one when he joins us.

Hil said...

Amen girly! My favorite was at one of Ricky's basketball games when I was about 34 or 35 weeks. I sat down in the bleachers and a woman asked when I was due. I told her and she said "OK, I was just making sure it wasn't today."

Wendi said...

What is with people?
Really.
They must just be seething with jealousy that they don't look as "hawt" as you when they are preggo.
I think you need a plan of action.
Something all ready to say when the next retard says something to you.
Maybe something like I made a lung today...what did you do?
That ought to shut them up!
You are beautiful.
Inside and out.
And so are those precious boys!

May I just say I love your mama... her comment is priceless!(and true)

Katie said...

My gracious Aly! I have a new found respect for pregnant woman after this blog! Take care!

The Millers said...

I'm sure you are no where near as big as a house. I have gained 35 pounds with all three of my pregnancies. I have great hopes of keeping my weight better under control this pregnancy, but considering the cinnamon roll and bowl of ice cream I had last night at 11:00 pm, I may not be on track!

When my mom was pregnant with her third, she was a week or two away from her due date. She was at church, and a man came up to her and said, "My, you are as big as a barn!" She went home crying and said a prayer and asked Heavenly Father to let her just be done with her pregnancy. She went into labor that night!

Love ya. I heard you are going to name this baby Sam! I approve.

Barney Family said...

Aly this makes me laugh! You are not big and pregnancy is very becoming for you! Next time just tell them you are breading a major league baseball star-- we like them big. If anything, look at a few of your recent photo shoots, (one in Particular) that should make you feel tons better.

Kellie

Robbins said...

Ali,
If I could only look as good as you!!!!!!!!!!! I am not kidding. As a matter of fact, the day we left Glenda's beach Brett and I were talking about how good you looked. Please don't let others bring you down. Just consider the source. I have no idea who said any of these comments but I can only imagine who some of them may be.
Hey at least you have an excuse. You can get back to your normal size. Me on the other hand....15 months later and I am still 20 lbs over weight. But you know...I have 2 beautiful children to show for it.:) Keep smiling and good luck with the arrival of your baseball player.

theweippertfamily said...

I had a lady walk up to me infront of an entire room of people and say wow! either you are really fat or pregnant...I was in my 9th month with Lily and my mouth dropped and all I could say was Thank you for bringing that to my attention!!
and may I say you do not look big,

felicity & nathaniel said...

Dear me... I feel your pain. Those dang doctors keep mentioning my "accelerated weight gain." Would they give me some credit for stopping breastfeeding at 14 weeks pregnant?! I haven't run into any of your oh-so-tactful comments from people yet though. Generally people say that I look so good and must hide the weight well. Terrific. I feel huge.

Wendi said...

I have a little something for you at my place.
Go.
See.

Marla said...

I was that pregnant woman twice... i feel your pain...that is why i NEVER talk about how pregnant people look :) guess what... both my babies were over 10 lbs... :)

Kari & Blair said...

aww..Aly...I have to second Katie's comment...I havent done the pregnancy thing yet, but I do have a new found respect!! Blair said he saw you the other day and said you looked cute pregnant..I hope he wasnt one of those rude people! :) I only wish I could look as good as you now..and when I get pregnant! :) Just consider the source..you are in carteret county...we are so low key that some of us forget that certain comments do hurt feelings! :)

Mikal said...

If we would all just think before we speak; what a wonderful world it would be. You are gorgeous, as always!

Herd of Sheps said...

Oh Aly, you crack me up!! I loved your post, it made me laugh because it never ceases to amaze me what people say sometimes, good grief, didn't their mother's ever teach them about manners? You are beauitful and are bringing another little boy into this world. Keep your chin up and good luck with the rest of your pregnancy. We love ya!!

Andrea said...

Hey Aly - Girl, I just saw you last week and trust me, you look GREAT!! I can't believe that this is your 3rd pregnancy! My first pregnancy I looked like a water balloon about to burst. I completely agree with you though, if people can't say anything nice to a pregnant women, don't say anything at all. Good luck with the remaining weeks...it's almost over!